Q&A About Candles

Q: What are most candles made of?                                                                                 A: Most candles are made out of a petroleum by-product called paraffin.

Q: Are there any dangers from burning Paraffin based candles?
A: Paraffin wax is known to have 11 different toxins two being carcinogenic. Paraffin also gives off petro-soot which is considered just as dangerous as second hand smoke.

Q: How do I know if I am buying a Beeswax candle, Soy wax candle or a Paraffin candle?
A: Check what the label says. If there is no mention of the candle being a Beeswax , or Soy candle on the label then it is usually correct to assume that it is made of paraffin. Everything on our website is Beeswax.

Q: What should I know about soy wax?
A: Soy wax is carcinogen free and toxin free. It burns longer and cleaner that paraffin based candles. It will also burn soot free leaving your candle and household free of stain causing build up. Soy wax is completely biodegradable and water soluble.

Q: What should I know about Beeswax candles?
A: Beeswax is carcinogen free, and toxin free. It burns longer and cleaner that paraffin based candles. Beeswax when being burned emits negative ions. This actually cleans the air as it burns. For more info on Beeswax Click here.

Paraffin or paraffin blend candles:

•Paraffin is a by-product of the petroleum refinery industry, leftover residue of refined petroleum.

•Soot given off from burning paraffin candles is the same as burning diesel fuel or fumes from a diesel engine.

•Soot particles travel deep into the lungs. Breathing soot is not recommended at all!

•Tests show that paraffin candles can produce a variety of harmful substances, including benzene & toluene, known carcinogens.

•Testing by the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) has found over 20 dangerous compounds in SIGNIFICANT quantities including acetone, benzene, toluene and lead.

• The soot from these materials can contain carcinogens, neurotoxins and reproductive toxins.

• The American Lung Association says, “Burning paraffin candles can emit small amounts of toxins into the air.”